Wednesday 4 September 2013

Finding Bigfoot?

My recovery has been long and for the most part of 2013, horizontal as I recovered from a Spine operation, radiotherapy and a growing tumour to my spine. This led to radiated pain in my hips and thighs that even with a full load of pain killing medication was unbearably painful.

To keep my spirits up I used to watch Finding Bigfoot on Sunday nights on Sky Animal Planet, each week our 4 intrepid presenters go off to a different US state to check out video evidence, interview eye witnesses, recreate sightings and then watch them lead a night time investigation.
Each week they speak about Bigfoot as though it actually exists and equally annoying, come back empty handed after wandering about a dark forest for 5 hours.. I am left open mouthed as they proclaim that the expedition was a success and that there are definitely Bigfoot's in every state they visit, despite absolutely, categorically no evidence gathered whatsoever. Despite all this nonsense, I'm an avid fan.




During my worst days in pain and lack of mobility I announced plans (there were no plans) to lead a Bigfoot expedition in 2014. I immediately recruited fellow explorers from my family and friends who were 100% behind my idea (they knew it was really a joke but never let on), however hopeless the current situation might have been it was always a topic to refer to. Whenever they visited me it was always to discuss the Bigfoot expedition 2014 in the texts and emails arranging the visit.

Suddenly I was needed in 2014, my recruits looked to me for leadership, planning and execution of the expedition.. The trip was going to happen, at least in our heads. It was another reason to stay alive, Everyone needs a dream to cling to and I had one.

No comments:

Post a Comment